Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where I'm From



I am from Basketball,
From Marathon and Sportline.
I am from the tamales inside the busy kitchen
(steamy, inviting, smelled of
Colombian pride).

I am from plucking clovers,
From blowing dandelion’s seeds,
Nature that just like the tides in the sea,
Changed direction,
Changed inspiration,
Changed me.

I am from arepas every Sunday
And long, lengthy, lean legs.
From Carolina and Nelly,
Doing everything my own way.

I am from the star students,
From responsible,
Successful ones.
From You Can Do Better and Erase It And Do It Again.

I am from rosaries with grandma,
From First Comunion with my uncle as the priest,
I am from knowing all the prayers,
That mom so carefully whispered to me,
Right after daddy said,
Buckle your seatbelts!

I am from Bogotá, San José, and Quito.
From Fritanga, tortillas and Locro.
I am from every little detail,
That once made me smile,
I am from that first thought,
That always pops in my head.
I do not come from,
One
Special place.

From its time to meet your grandfather,
(the one that left your grandmother)
A long time ago.
I am from one thousand
Family members,
Always sticking together,
Familia Granadilla.

No matter how many airports I visit,
I know my family when I see it.
I know their hugs, I know their kisses,
I know my family when I see it.
Because I love how we talk until
3am.
Because I love how we laugh about
what others say.
  
I am from people,
From the people I love,
From the people I hate,
Too.

And what I love the most,
Is that the thought of them
(their laughs, their compliments)
The thoughts of writing them this
Poem,
Makes my insides twirl,
Makes my heart ache,
Makes me crave for when I’ll return,
To where I am
From.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! You really took the format and let it carry you out to sea. Your poem is creative, imaginative, and a true work of art. You have take the format and
    changed direction,
    Changed inspiration,
    Changed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Job! I like how in the first stanza you put smelled of Colombian Pride.. What really made this a great poem is that it is exactly like you. Excellent Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encantaa!!! i love every stanza depicts exactly who you are and you put so much YOU in it, it came out beautiful. congratulations you did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovee itt! Legit work of art my friend especially the last stanza
    By the way, loving the macy marie maloy youtubee bar at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good, it flows thoroughly and makes sense. It's also great that you added more information than necessary for it to have a greater impact on where you are from. I also noticed how you named traditional Colombian food for the reader to get a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waoo!! You is a one great poem writer.... and is a great athlete
    I is in love about how you said that you know your family's hugs and kisses~~ stanza, but why until 3 am?? Great job ~(^-^)~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyouu yujin!! well we talk a lot and time elapses very quickly...thankyou <3

      Delete
  7. Wow great job! It was a great poem all together and I liked how you showed the different sides of you. The extra verses just made the poem better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oreooo I loved your refrain, loved the alliteration,cultural description! The parenthesis really added a whole new twist to your already-beautiful-poem! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This poem is great! I love how you capture the pure latino essence :) your writing is amazing!

    ReplyDelete